The onions are clearly centre stage in this recipe and for those onion fanatics out there, this recipe is the one for you! Soft, delicately flavoured onions combined with caramelised, crispy pastry is a combination you will not forget any time soon.
Weirdly, they match perfectly and create an explosion of flavour in your mouth. It's satisfying, colourful appearance doesn't go a miss either!
You will need:
- 6 onions (depending upon the size of your frying pan, we used 28cm)
- 1 sheet of ready to roll puff pastry
- 60g unsalted butter
- 3tbsp light brown sugar
- 4tbsp vinegar
- 50ml water
- Chopped parsley and any other herbs or spices you wish to add
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C. Peel onions and chop each end off, then cut into halves.
2) In your SCANPAN CTX frying pan, add the butter and heat on medium until melted and bubbling. Add the sugar, vinegar, water and a dash of salt and pepper, then simmer for a couple of minutes while mixing.
3) Carefully place the onions flat down in a pan and cover the pan with a lid to allow the onions to soften on a low heat for 5-10 minutes. Remove lid and take off the heat.
4) Unroll your pastry and place over the pan, tucking in the sides using the back of a spoon to form a circle over your onions. Do not worry if the liquid isn't fully caramelised, this will caramelise while cooking in the oven.
5) Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and risen. Remove from the oven and get a plate which is big enough to cover the frying pan. Pop the plate over the frying pan then flip, you may need a helper for this part!