Bringing to you a traditional Spring classic, the carrot cake! A controversial loaf that you either love or hate - this slightly winter spiced, moist and wholesome recipe is delicious. With a large percentage of it being carrot, it's healthy for you, right?
Create a tasty mid-day treat that's not too heavy on the stomach, but light and refreshing, guaranteed to impress any guests you might be having in the garden!
You will need for the cake:
- 3-4 large carrots (grated)
- 2 eggs
- 200g light brown sugar
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 100g raisins
- 180g self-raising flour
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp cinnamon
You will need for the icing:
- 200g soft cheese
- 50g butter
- 50g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
1) Grate the carrots into a large mixing bowl, add the eggs, sugar, oil and raisins, then mix until completely combined.
2) Sift in the flour, bicarb and cinnamon, then mix until combined.
3) Grease your Emile Henry loaf dish with butter and line the base with greaseproof paper.
4) Add the cake mixture to the dish and bake in a pre-heated 180°C oven for 30-40 minutes, ensuring a skewer comes out clean before removing it.
5) While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Add the soft cheese and butter into a mixing bowl and beat until silky smooth. Add the vanilla extract and icing sugar then mix until combined.
6) Spread the icing over the cooled cake and add any toppings you wish to decorate with. Enjoy with a warm cup of tea in the garden!